Wednesday, April 14, 2010

The First of Many

Well, you're reading, so that's a start. I'd like to start out with a simple mission statement: here at For Those About To Read, we (I) are (am) committed to bringing you the best blog you have ever read written by someone named Bruce.

It's just thoughts, mainly. I'm not here to tell you about every single day's mundane details in order to create an insightful blog about the inexorable grind of everyday. This isn't that blog. I am, however, open to questions and writing prompts. I, like every American, have an opinion on everything, and I'll share it with just the slightest prompting.

I can't promise you consistent quality, but I can promise a few things:
--I will not say "your" when I mean "you're." Ever.
--I will try not to complain all the time. I have nothing against serious blogging; just give me a topic.
--My grammar and punctuation will be correct at least 90% of the time.
--I will attempt to inform whenever a blog demands I do so. I won't make you do independent research to understand what I'm talking about. Or if I do, I'll at least add the link for you so you don't have to hunt it down.
--I will not subject you to my poetry/fiction/creative non-fiction in this blog. If you want it, ask, and I'll send you some.
--I will always be open to feedback, and really, I need it: it's up to you, readers, to keep me from becoming just another asshole using the internet as a soapbox without having anything to say. Not every idea I have is brilliant, so please feel free to call me on it if you see a quality control issue.

So, let's get to it in earnest. We'll start out light. The first thing I'd like to talk about is my concern, bordering now on panic, that America is beginning to market itself solely to teenage girls. The music (exhibit A: that insipid Kesha--that stupid song where she mumbles like a drunken Miss Date-Rape 2010 contestant IS DEFINITELY the song I, the unstable vet, would have on the iPod when I mount the old clock tower) the movies (anything with animated rodents--I'll bet you can think of at least three right off the top of your head) and even the books (Twilight) of the last several years have become more and more effeminate and annoying. It's entertain of absolutely the lowest common denominator and it's got to stop.

Any rebuttal? Defense of movies staring animated rodents? There is NO defense for Kesha, so please, don't waste your keystrokes. I've got class, so that's all for now.

2 comments:

  1. A Bruce blog! How I've missed you and your writing. I'll be checking in often!

    Oh, and Twilight is awful. Having not read any of the books in the series, however, I can't say if they're any worse than the Christopher Pike and R.L. Stein books that were popular when I was a teenage girl. Not that I read many of those, since Mom wouldn't buy that junk...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like all your promises. Send me some of your poetry... :)

    newbeginning09@att.net

    ReplyDelete